Download Play Store for Nexus
If you happen to own a Nexus device without the Google Play Store installed, there is a way you can download and install the Play Store app on your device from an external APK file.
You can use this method to install the Android app store on multiple Nexus models such as: Nexus 5, 6, 7, 5X, 10, 6P and many more.
There may be slight differences when installing the application with respect to device models and the Android version, but the process is fundamentally the same.
In case you want to directly install the Play Store app, click on the “Download” button to get the latest version of the APK file.
Installing the Google Play Store on a Nexus device involves the following:
- Download Google Play Store APK.
- Enable Installation from unknown sources.
- Install the Google Play APK
- Launch the app and enjoy unlimited access to excellent apps.
- Disable Installation from unknown sources.
Step 1: Give Permission to Install Unknown Apps
To install apps from external sources, you need to enable Install Unknown Apps on your Android device.
The steps to enable installation from unknown sources are different on pre-Oreo (before Android 8.0) and post-Oreo (from Android 8.0) devices.
For Nexus Devices Running Android Versions below 8.0
- Open the device Settings.
- Go to Security / Privacy.
- Look for unknown sources on the next page, enable it, and confirm the pop-up.
For Nexus Devices Running Android Versions from 8.0
- Open device Settings.
- Go to Apps & Notifications.
- Tap on Special app access.
- Click on Install unknown apps.
- Choose the browser (e.g., Chrome) you will use to download the Google Play Store APK (step 2 below). On the next page, flip on the toggle for "Allow from this source" This allows you to install any app you download using the browser.
Step 2: Download the Play Store APK File
There are third-party websites that offer the latest version of the Play Store APK such as this one. All you need to do is click on the Download button and follow the download process. Ensure you download the latest version of the Play Store.
Step 3: Install the Google Play Store App
Go to the browser's download folder. Open the APK file you downloaded to install it. Follow through with the installation process.
Step 4: Launch the App
When the installation is complete, open the Play Store, login or create an account and install your favorite apps.
Step 5: Disable Permission to Install Unknown Apps
This is the last thing you should do, after installing the Play Store app. Follow the same procedure as in step 1 above to turn off "Allow from this source". If you fail to do this, any malicious app on your device can install applications.
You are five steps away from downloading and installing the Google Play Store on your Nexus device. If you encounter any problems, repeat the process. If it persists, check our collection of articles for more information. We have an article on "Play Store problems" that will help you fix any problem you might encounter.