Download Play Store for Xiaomi
Xiaomi makes excellent Android phones, but some Xiaomi phones lack basic Google applications such as the Google Play Store.
Xiaomi, being a phone maker from China, follows the regulations of the Chinese government and doesn’t allow access to Play Store and other Google services such as Chrome, YouTube or Gmail.
Xiaomi maintains a version of the Play Store, where it offers alternatives to Google apps. It has a store for apps known as MI App Store.
It is normal to find models of Xiaomi phones available internationally having the Play Store app preinstalled. Also, it's common to come across users outside China with Xiaomi phones without basic Google apps installed.
However, you can overcome this limitation and download and install the Google Play Store manually. With the store up and running, you can install other Google apps you need. If you want to install the Play Store right away, click on the “Download” button and follow the instructions.
If you happen to own a Xiaomi phone without the Play Store installed, this tutorial is for you. This article will walk you through the steps on the downloading and installation of the Google Store.
This works for all Xiaomi devices, including Xiaomi 8, 9, 10 (Normal, Lite & Pro), 10T, Xiaomi Redmi Note etc.
To install the Play Store app on Xiaomi phones, take the following steps:
- Enable Downloads from Unknown Sources.
- Download and Install Google Installer APK.
- Install the Play Store app and other essential Google services needed to run the Google Play Store.
Step 1: Enable Downloads from Unknown Sources
- Open the Settings app on your Xiaomi device.
- Scroll down, select "System & Device options" and click on Additional Settings.
- On the Additional Settings page, click on Privacy.
- Enable the Privacy Settings, activate the Unknown Sources option. This allows app installation from unknown sources.
- Next, a notification icon will be visible. Click on “OK” to enable downloads on your Xiaomi device.
Step 2: Download Google Installer APK
The next step is to download the Google Installer APK. Using your browser, download the APK (Google Installer) from a secure APK website, then follow the steps below:
- Install the APK file you downloaded.
- When the installation completes, click on Open.
- On the subsequent screen, tap the blue colored “Install” button to commence installing basic Google Services that make it possible for the Play Store to run on the device.
- The Google Installer will begin installing these fundamental Google services: Google Service Framework, Google Play Services, Google Account Management, and Google Calendar Synchronization Service. These applications are needed to download the Play Store on your Xiaomi device.
For the four basic Google services above, you have to install them on the permissions screen and then click on “Done” once each service has been installed.
- Immediately after the installation of the four basic services, the installer will ultimately prompt you to permit it to install the Play Store app. So, tap on Install to have the Play Store app on your mobile phone.
- Finally, open the Play Store app and login or create an account to access the app.
If you have followed this tutorial step by step, you have a Google Play Store app running on your Xiaomi phone. In case of any challenges, you can check out other additional tutorials we have on this subject.